Vignettes of a South African Township called Mdantsane

Friday, October 8, 2021

Fordsburg, Johannesburg and Bangladesh, something in common

Back from Johannesburg. Clearly it seems that Bangladeshis have taken over all major trade including banking in Fordsburg. Had a great time conversing with a tailor from Sylhet. There are hoardings in Bangla and English. He wouldn't talk about the horrific murder of Neel, the blogger or even of Sheikh Mujib, says he is ashamed of his own skin. I saw tears in his eyes. Dada, 'please let me make a blazer for you'. I thought of the Liberation war, the genocide, in numbers and brutality only next to the holocaust in Germany, the Razakars still moving freely, some of them might be even living incognito in South Africa and radical islamisation of Fordsburg. Next time Dada, Next time, I told, embracing him.The Jannatul Firdaus, I bought from an Itr seller, brought me back to Old Delhi, its colors insisting, streets persisting on aadab, life and living.

No comments:

Post a Comment